Since the 1930s, not-for-profit electric cooperatives have proudly been providing power to members. Throughout our 70 plus years of service, our sincere commitment to providing reliable electricity and the highest quality service, at cost, has remained constant.
In Jan. 1, 2017 FreeState Electric Cooperative became the consolidated cooperative of the former Leavenworth-Jefferson Electric Cooperative and Kaw Valley Electric Cooperative. FreeState upholds the same values and services that members have come to expect since 1940 and 1937.
FreeState is the largest rural electric cooperative in Eastern Kansas, with more than 15,000 member-owners. It functions as a democratic, not-for-profit organization. We are controlled by our members who actively participate in setting cooperative policy and making decisions in the best interest of the cooperative. Unlike investor-owned utilities, our profits are returned to our members as capital credits.
Trustees, who are also members govern FreeState Electric Co-op.
The board of trustees and staff make every decision based upon the six core values that have guided us from the beginning and will guide us into the future, as FreeState Electric Cooperative. We strive to be:
- Transparent: We are open and honest in our dealings with our members, employees and other stakeholders.
- Ethical: We do what is right and are accountable to our members.
- Safe: We look out for the well-being of each other, our members and the public.
- Dedicated: We are committed to working together as a team to serve our members and communities.
- Progressive: We continually seek opportunities to find new and better ways to achieve member satisfaction and operational efficiencies.
- Respectful: We treat everyone we encounter with compassion and professionalism.
The rural electric and utility industry is changing all-around us. To continue to thrive over the next and beyond, we must look ahead, understand the forces and trends that will shape our industry moving forward and prepare and remain proactive moving forward. Our vision and mission are a long-term destination goal for FreeState Electric Cooperative. Our vision and mission, along with our core values provide an action plan as we look to the future and continuing to serve our members while making them our No. 1 priority.
Our vision is to earn the trust of our members and partners one interaction at a time.
Our Mission at FreeState Electric Cooperative is to be an innovative, member-driven electric cooperative that exceeds our member's needs for safe, reliable and cost-effective energy services.
We are member-owned. We are member-driven. We are FreeState Electric cooperative.
We look forward to serving you.